Sunday, December 04, 2005

Watching "The Simpsons" to build emotional awareness

I think I was first exposed to The Simpsons when I was in the fourth grade. At that time, when everyone else in my class had watched it, I had taken it upon myself to be pretentious and resist what I felt, at that time, was pointless fluff. While my friends were watching it, I was watching the nigthly news and using that as an excuse to feel more mature and generally superior when compared to my counterparts, who were filling themselves up with what was inappropriate and obscene.

I had never expected myself looking back, but in retrospect I realize that, at the time, I was incapable of appreciating The Simpsons beyond a very simple level. While most of the other cartoons I watched could not be appreciated beyond such a level (consisting of really nothing more than a basic plot, with no profound theme underneath), it took me years to fully apprecate The Simpsons for all that it is worth.

Beyond the plot are the various jokes that let it qualify as a sitcom and let it appeal to a wider audience. Admist those jokes are more subtle jabs at society; Kent Brockman's attitude towards his own news, or Ned Flanders' devotion to his religion (which is a commentary on society's overall relationship with morality). On top of that is the development of various characters, of which I would argue has more depth than any other TV show at the moment. There is subtle irony; the fact that the school's principal lives with his mother, for example. Over many episodes, we become intimately familiar with all characters in the Simpson family, as well as Mr. Burns, all of whom are used to illustrate stereotypes in society and to explore various themes.

The most profound is what also makes The Simpsons unique: while animated and silly in general, it explores themes that are so deep within ourselves and so universal to human nature that each episode has significant value as a commentary on the human condition. At this level, all characters in the show are unified; Homer, Marge, Lisa, Bart, Grandpa, Mr. Burns, and even Apu and Moe (as well as everyone else), despite the different social stereotypes they represent, now become the same person. Recurring themes include our need to feel accomplished, to feel appreciated by those we love, our fear of loneliness, and, our inner capacity for both good and evil. While other sitcoms usually deal with awkward social situations and love in general, The Simpsons goes so much deeper.

Nowadays, when the news seems nothing but sensationalist and slanted and just has to find something to report on when there's nothing to, watching The Simpsons seems like a far better use of one's time.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]